Hello beautiful beings!
I hope this message finds you well and in high spirits. I have been weirdly in an extremely joyful mood! Literally every day that I wake up I feel how we all feel when we finally get that perfect lighting for a photo and actually capture the perfect image, or how ecstatic we get when our absolute favorite show is FINALLY coming out with another season and it airs on Netflix sooner than we expected.
I’m not exactly sure if it has to do with “The Book of JOY” I am reading, by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu, but I am in a state of peace and I feel immensely blessed just thinking about it because I know everyone cannot state the same. However, if you are reading this post you are already covered in my prayers for peace, reassurance, and love from HIM that is higher than us, to overtake you.
One thing that I have found helps shift the mind and over all being into the direction of gratefulness is to make a Grateful List. No matter how small or how silly you may think it is… Write it down. At least 4 things.
My list for this week:
1. sunlight and the warmth it shares
2. a sweet tangerine
3. clear sticky tab flags (for marking my book when reading!)
4. having no hangnails (Thank ya Lawd)
*Shifts* While everyone seems to be concerned with what others are doing to fill their time… What I really want to know is what everyone is doing to fill their bellies!
Before this whole COVID-19 quarantine took place, I was faithfully going to the gym 3-4 times a week and eating a substantial amount to compliment my gains and build muscle.
My workout world has been turned upside down because the act of going to an actual gym motivated me a great deal. It’s my assumption that a lot of people are eating out of boredom. Me, Ms. Individuality over-here, is doing the complete opposite! I think I’ve gone into survival mode, eating only twice a day, if that (I know, I know, not the healthiest but this is me being honest).
However, I have made the meals I do eat count! In the morning I like to eat something a little light: a bowl of oatmeal with a banana, peanut butter and honey on the side does the trick. Or I’ll have an avocado (or two) with Everything Bagel Seasoning sprinkled on top accompanied by a large glass of water!
I’ve found that not many people are huge fans of avocados because of the texture, color or even mild smooth taste. I’ve also found that adding salt and pepper makes a world of difference. If it happens to be too soft for your liking, eat it when it’s a bit firmer to the touch.
While avocados are green they are actually considered a fruit. Most fruit consists primarily of carbohydrates, avocado is high in healthy fats and loaded with fiber. Some benefits of this fruit include: rich with antioxidants that protect the eyes, helps prevent cancer, inhibits fungal infections, helps lower cholesterol and prevent heart disease. I’m sure with more research you can find a benefit this fruit can prove for you.
Whewh, okay getting back on track…
I snack throughout the middle of the day mostly on nonsense so you can feel free to be creative during this time. Create a new mid-day snack and share it with me! See how this relationship works? I give, you give… reciprocity.
When it comes to dinner, CeeMarita’s got you covered! This week I kept it strictly vegetarian with my meals:
Meal No.1 – Veggie Pot Pie
Before you turn up your nose, this is a very delicious meal, colorful and under $10! Assuming you already have the seasonings.
So all you need for this yummy tummy filler is
- 2 cups of mixed vegetables for a 9X9 inch pan that can go in the oven (Glass is fine too)
Vegetables include: corn, green beans, peas, carrots and broccoli
- 3 cans of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
- a quarter of chopped onion
- 1 can of cream of mushroom
- 1 can of cream of cream of celery
- 1 can of cream of potato
- 2 tbs. of butter
- Seasoning salt
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- 3 tbs. of White cooking wine
Now for the magic:
- Pre-heat the oven to 390 degrees
- Whynot 350? Because Whynot 390? Live a little, 390 degrees it is.
- Grab a large non-stick skillet and toss in the 1 tbs. of butter along with all of the vegetables over medium heat. Add in all of your desired seasoning (for the record I used everything I listed above)
- If the vegetables are frozen place a cover on top for about a minute to ensure everything is thawed out
- While that’s on the stove heat up the leftover teaspoon of butter in the microwave.
- Use a small portion of the butter to grease inside the 9×9 pan
- Unroll 1 can of crescent rolls, layer it and press into the bottom and up the sides of pan (it’s okay if it don’t go all the way to the top of the pan.)
- Once the vegetables are fragrant and the butter has seemed to evaporate pour in the cream of mushroom, cream of celery, and the cream of potato. Allow it to simmer/cook for 2 minutes and then pour vegetable mixture into pan evenly
- Unroll leftover crescent rolls and place over top of veggie mixture and press into sides of pan sealing mixture in the middle. Bake on bottom rack for 30 mins until golden brown.
- Once 30 minutes are up, remove from oven, use the remaining portion of better to brush on top of your now completely finished vegetarian potpie!
IF YOU SO HAPPPPPPEN TO BE A MEAT LOVER, I love you all the same. Yeah, of course I do, so you can add in your meat of choice if you SO desire.
*You would cut up and cook your meat separately all the way through and then add it into the vegetable mixture, all other instructions remain the same.
I hope you all enjoy this quick fun meal. It is one of my favorite gems in the sack that I love to revisit every few months. Remember, this is all an experience we are going through together so if you have any suggestions on how to spice this meal up I am all ears. Never had potpie? Well here is the perfect chance to try it out, only $10, the best thing that could happen is…. You gain a new recipe. Are you a good cook? What quick cost efficient meals are you eating during this pandemic, How healthy or unhealthy are you eating during this time?
OH and you thought I forgot….absolutely not. Drop that 4 point Grateful List in the comments. I WANNA SEE THEM ALL, lol.
#Keepgoing Until Next time. 🥑 –Courtney B.